Which are the most necessary things that must be included in PPE kit?
Necessary Things to Include in a PPE Kit
When the pandemic affected the world, there was ruckus everywhere. People wanted to protect themselves from the coronavirus. Who came to the rescue? PPE kits! To be more specific, medical PPE kits. PPE stands for personal protective equipment. It is widely used by individuals to protect themselves from any possible hazards & mishaps.
PPE is being used in various industries like healthcare, construction, manufacturing, and many more! Depending upon the field of use, different PPE is used. The danger may be due to chemicals, electricity, or any other way. PPE is available in a wide range for the protection of an individual.
What should a PPE Kit include?
PPE can be classified under various factors. One of the primary factors that are widely used to classify PPE is the body part it protects. PPE is used to protect the head, eye, ear, hands, legs, respiratory tract, and body. They are other PPE like safety harnesses that are responsible for the protection of an individual from falling.
Depending upon the severity & the number of hazards, a PPE kit needs to be prepared. A healthcare worker who is always at risk of contact with pathogens & bodily fluids has a specifically curated PPE kit.
PPE kit of Healthcare Personnel
PPE kit of healthcare personnel includes:
- Surgical Caps: These caps are worn for avoiding any transmission of micro-organisms from the site to the individual and vice-versa. They also keep hold of hair.
- Face Shields: Healthcare personnel are in constant contact with bodily fluids, chemicals, and other stuff. If there is any splash on the individual’s face, then it can injure or spread contamination. To avoid this mishap, medical personnel usually cover their face and chin. Face shield acts as a protective barrier between the face of the individual & the contaminants.
- Safety Eyewear: Alternatively, where there is a need or high risk of splashes towards the eye area, safety eyewear can also be worn. They protect the eyes of the individuals. Depending upon the necessity, different types of safety eyewear are used.
- Respirators or Surgical Masks: It is recommended that healthcare personnel must ensure that they are wearing at least a surgical mask. While wearing the N95 respirators is the best option. Respirators or surgical masks protect the individual from pathogens, particulate matter, and other microbes. Find out more about the differences between face masks & respirators.
- Safety Gloves: They play two major roles. Firstly, they maintain sterile conditions, especially in operation theatres. Secondly, gloves also ensure that there is no bodily fluid exchange. But, what are the types of safety gloves? How would you choose proper safety gloves? Check out our article on safety gloves.
For covering one’s body, healthcare personnel uses different PPE based upon the required condition. Scrubs, coveralls, and surgical gowns are quite frequently used. These PPE protects an individual from getting exposed to any type of contamination. To prevent any contamination due to footwear, shoe covers are used.
How to Curate a Basic Individual PPE Kit
Irrespective of the hazards or the place of use, a basic individual PPE kit is a must! Let’s delve deep into the equipment that is required in a basic PPE kit.
A basic individual PPE kit must include the following equipment:
- 25 Disposable Face Masks
- 1 Face shield
- 1 reusable & washable KN95 Respirator
- 250 mL of Hand Sanitizer
- 25 Sets of Disposable Safety Gloves
- A Pair of Safety Goggles
- A Pack of Disinfectant Wipes
How to Curate a PPE Kit for Small Businesses & Stores
Businesses & stores need to make provisions for clean & uncontaminated places. They should also provide PPE kits to their employees. PPE like hand sanitizers and disposable face masks must be readily available in bulk for visiting customers.
A PPE kit for small businesses must include the following equipment:
- 10 boxes of Disposable Masks (50 Pieces in a box)
- 10 scratch-resistant Disposable Face Shields
- 5 Non-disposable Face Shields
- 10 Safety Goggles
- 20 Washable Neoprene Face Masks
- 10 500 mL Hand Sanitizer Liquid with an in-built Dispenser
- 2 boxes of Nitrile Examination Gloves (400 Pieces in a box)
- 20 packs of Disinfectant Wipes (35 Pieces in a pack)
- Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer
- ULV (Ultra Low Volume) Fogger Machine
What Are the Factors that One Must Consider While Curating a PPE Kit?
Firstly, a PPE kit should consist of all the equipment that would be necessary for an individual to protect themselves. Safety should never be compromised. Also, if the PPE is disposable, then there should be multiple of them available in the PPE kit. Non-disposable ones must have proper storage space and must be stored properly.
One must ensure that they select the PPE that does not restrict the movement & locomotion of an individual. Also, preferably, PPE should not reduce the efficiency of an individual. The local norms, rules, and regulations should be strictly adhered to.
PPE kits have all the equipment that an individual should have to protect themselves from hazardous conditions. Thus, it means that one must be careful while curating a PPE kit. Readily available, pre-curated PPE kits are also available in the market. Ensure that all the components are available in bulk (if disposable). The non-disposable ones must be disinfected properly before using them again.
PPE kits used by healthcare professionals, industrial personnel, and personal use have different components. The hazards that one may be exposed play an important role in deciding the components of the PPE kit. A proper PPE kit protects an individual from all types of hazards.
Stay Safe! Stay Healthy! Stay True!